How to close your Microsoft account
When you’re sure you’re ready:
- Go to Close your account.
- If you’re prompted to sign in and/or verify your account, follow the instructions.
- Check that the page shows the correct Microsoft account, and then click Next.
- Read the list, and click the checkboxes to acknowledge you’ve read each item.
- In the Select a reason drop-down list, choose the reason you’re closing the account.
- Click Mark account for closure.
After you close your account
When you tap or click the Mark account for closure button, we wait 60 days before permanently deleting your Microsoft account, in case you change your mind or need to access something on the account before it’s gone forever.
During the waiting period, your account is marked for closure but it still exists. If you want to reopen your Microsoft account, just sign in again within that 60 days. We’ll cancel the account closure, and everything will be just as you left it.