Completely uninstall and reinstall Skype
The following steps work for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
- Quit Skype. If you can see the Skype icon in the task bar, right-click it and select Quit. If you can’t see it, right click the task bar (or press Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and click Task Manager, then select Skype and click End Task.
- Press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard at the same time, then type appwiz.cpl in the Run dialog and click OK.
- Find Skype in the list, right-click it and select Remove or Uninstall. (If you can’t find Skype in your installed programs, follow the directions here.)
- Press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard at the same time, then type %appdata% in the Run dialog and click OK.
- Right-click the Skype folder and select Delete.
- To make sure the Skype program folder has been deleted, go to C:\Program Files (in Windows 8 and above, go to C:\Program Files (x86)) and delete the Skype folder and the SkypePM folder if they are there.
- Delete any Skype entries from the Registry – but beware: serious problems might occur if you modify the Registry incorrectly, so make sure you follow these steps carefully. To be safe, it’s a good idea to back up your Registry before making any changes.
- Press the Windows and R keys at the same time, then type regedit in the Run dialog and click OK. The Registry Editor is displayed.
- Click Edit > Find.
- Type Skype into the Find box and click Find Next.
- Use right-click to delete all the search results (there can be up to 50).
- Download and install the latest version of Skype.
- Restore your personal information if you saved it:
- Quit Skype.
- Press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard at the same time, type %appdata%\skype in the Run dialog and click OK.
- Copy the two folders you previously saved and paste them into this folder.